Thursday, October 7, 2010

The things people ask . . .

I got one of those nosey questions about adoption today.  I have a membership at Curves, and today was my first day back after breaking my leg in June.  I was wearing a shirt that said "Mercy Justice Compassion."  Someone asked about the shirt, and I told her that I bought it from one of the worship pastors at our church.  He was selling the shirts to raise money for their own Ethiopian adoption.  This lady was unaware of our pending adoption.  She said that she didn't understand why people go overseas to adopt when "there are so many kids here who need a home."  Well, I'd like to know where all these kids are.  People who have never darkened the doors of a social worker's office seem to know a lot about all these American children who are available for adoption.  And since they know so much about these needy children, why in the world have they not adopted three or four of them themselves?

There are literally MILLIONS of children in around the world who have been orphaned who are available for adoption.  Wanna know how many kids there are in foster care in the states that are available for adoption?  Less then 200,000.  Wanna know something else?  Those American kids in foster care will not die of things like malaria, malnourishment, or tuberculosis.  Kids in developing countries will.

I would be absolutely shocked if any one who has this mind set of "why not adopt from the US?"  has ever set foot into a developing country.  They have never seen Mexican children become awestruck over the gift of paper, crayons, and yarn.  They have never seen Haitian children playing in the road with practically no clothing on.  After you do see those things, how can you not want to do something for those kids?

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'  Matthew 25: 35-40 (NIV)

1 comment:

  1. I like this post! We get asked all the time why we are not adopting from here? I really want to ask them why they aren't. Of course, I don't. I just smile and say we realize there are needs everywhere, but this is where the Lord lead us.

    I am thankful that our eyes our open to the needs all over the world and that the Lord wants to bless us through adoption.

    Praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete