Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Mardi Gras 2014

On Saturday, we hosted our annual Mardi Gras party.  We both really enjoy hosting this party. By the time Mardi Gras rolls around, I am fed up with winter and homesick for Baton Rouge. This party takes the edge off my homesickness. I didn't get any pics from the party because I was too busy talking, but I did get some pics of the decorations and the kids before the party started.




 I embroidered the kids' shirts and James' shirt. The design for James' shirt was my favorite of the two. The kids' shirts came out cute, but the design was hard for the machine to handle. I threw one shirt away because the machine chewed the fabric up when it got to the Mardi Gras beads. I left the beads off of Samuel's shirt because I was afraid of the same thing happening.

 We took our baby gates down for the party and Samuel had a blast getting to run around where ever he wanted. He fully embraced the spirit of Mardi Gras and dumped a cupful of Hurricane on himself.  He is also ready for a parade now. His daddy taught him how to throw doubloons.
I got my mask at a local costume/party supply store called Johnny Brock's. We took the kids in there with us. It is big store. James says it is like the Wal-Mart of costumes. They have a huge assortment of merchandise, some of which nice and some of which is, well, just party junk. When we walked out of the store, Samuel said, "Junk, junk, junk." He was polite about it though. He waited until we were out of earshot of the employees. Haha. We got a big laugh out of that.
I made jambalaya for the first time in a couple of years. It came out pretty well, except that the rice was a little gummy. James made some delicious red beans & rice, but I didn't get a photo of that either.



We had a great time catching up with our friends, some of whom we had not seen in quite some time. Thanks to everyone to joined us!

A note to your protestant self: today marks the first day of Lent. Do not try to eat at a seafood restaurant on a Friday night until *after* Easter. There will be a two hour wait for a table. We seem to forget that every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment