Thursday, June 5, 2014

Kauai - Waimea Canyon

 We spent one afternoon on Kauai at Waimea Canyon. We scheduled a the downhill bike ride tour with Outfitters Kauai. The bike and helmets are provided, along with a support vehicle carrying snacks, water, and first aid supplies. We were driven to the upper rim of the canyon at 3,400 feet, and that is where the bike ride began. We had a 12 mile ride, all downhill to sea level.
 The canyon was beautiful!
 The snacks that we were supplied with were locally made cookies from  Kauai Kookie.



We had a van full of people on the tour, and I think James and I were the only people who weren't from California. The bikes that we were supplied with were modified beach cruisers. It was an adjustment for me to ride one. They felt heavy at first, and the handle bars were much wider than what I'm used to riding.  We had a great time, and I was glad I was wearing long sleeves.
 The ride ended at the Waimea Canyon General store. The tour guides loaded the bike back up on the trailer and drove us back to the Outfitter's store. We didn't have any plans for dinner that night, so I used an app that I had downloaded called "Kauai Revealed" to find a restaurant. This app proved to be extremely helpful. We decided to try Kalaheo Cafe & Coffee Co. It is a coffee shop that also serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We were both impressed.
We ordered coconut shrimp for our appetizer.
 I ordered the Roasted Beet Salad with grilled Ono fish. It came with papaya seed dressing. I don't have a photo of James' entree, but he ordered the barbecue pork ribs with Guava BBQ sauce. Everything we has there was so good. The only disappointing thing was that they were not serving any local coffees that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment