Sunday, September 21, 2014

Pedal the Cause is Almost Here!

I'm so excited to be participating in Pedal the Cause this year. I picked up my rider's jersey on Friday, and I got my bike tuned up.

Pedal the Cause is a cycling event in it's 5 year here in St. Louis that raises funds for the Siteman Cancer Center and St. Louis Children's Hospital.  The money raised will go to fund cancer research at these two hospitals. These are both wonderful institutions, and I've had the honor of serving patients at both hospitals as a pharmacist.  The best calls I ever get at work are from cancer patients who are calling to tell me that they no longer need my services because they are in remission. That is always such amazing news, and how I wish I got more of those calls.  All too many times it goes the other way. Instead of a happy patient on the phone, and I have a saddened family member on the phone telling me that their loved one's disease has gotten worse and they are stopping treatment and going to hospice care. Both phone calls have brought me to tears for two very different reasons. One for joy, and the other for the briefness of life.

I'm only $50 away from my fundraising commitment.  If you'd like help me chip away at that by making a donation towards creating a world without cancer, here's the link: Pedal the Cause Donations. Thank you so very much for your support.

I've had a number of family members who found themselves grasped in the clutches of cancer. Two grandparents, an aunt and an uncle, my husband's grandfather. I ride for them. I ride for my patients. Here's to a world without cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment