Monday, January 11, 2010

Three Bean Chili

I've been trying to get my chili recipe ironed out, and I think I've settled on this recipe.  I made it on Sunday for dinner, and it was a success.  Chili and other foods that are supposed to be hot, are a bit challenging for me.  I want those foods to be spicey enough for my husband, but that usually means that it'll be so hot that it makes me sick.  It is hard to find a balance.  He did put some Tabasco sauce in this, but not until he was almost finished with his bowl of chili.

2 lbs ground beef
1 large white onion, chopped
1 (10 oz) can original Rotel
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 (15 oz) can red beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14 1/2 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (12 oz) can tomato paste
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tsp. sugar

In a large pot, brown ground beef.  Drain and return to pot.  Add chopped onions and simmer until onions are transparent.  Add the rest of the ingredients.  Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes.

8 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmm - sounds perfect for a really cold day. I love beans in my chili - and the variety sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh yummy, there are loads of great recipes on your site! I'm spoilt for choice. It's always interesting to try a different version of a favourite dish, sometimes I get so bored with cooking the same thing. I don't usually add black beans - I'll have to give that a try. Have a great weekend.
    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some great recipes. I love making the taco ring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! We all love chili here and I've been looking for a good recipe. I'll have to put this in my file "to try." :)

    Have a great weekend!
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummmm...sounds good...you guys and your recipes are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love chili! Sounds delicious!

    I noticed that you are trying to adopt. Me too! Our son was born in June, and we're hoping to finalize by the end of next month! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete