Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Experimenting with a new flash

I saved some money that I had been given for Christmas, my birthday, and money that I been paid back in the winter for getting called into work for 5 different "emergencies."   I decided to use it to buy a new flash for my camera.  I've had a DSLR for about 4 years, but I had never gotten a flash to use with it.  I have a Canon Rebel and I got a Canon Speedlite 580 EX II flash from Amazon.  It was $50 cheaper there than at our local camera shop.  It came in the mail today, and I took some photos of our dogs this evening.  I have always had trouble taking good pics of our bigger dog indoors.  Her photos taken indoor would almost always have "pet eye".  No more of that with the new flash.  Here are some of my favorite pics from this afternoon:

 Lily is intentionally out of focus.  I like this picture.
 I found that bouncing the flash off the ceiling worked best.  If I aimed it at the dog, the photo was too bright.  Since the flash is not bouncing right into their eyes, they don't mind having their pictures taken as much either.  I wish I had gotten one of these a long time ago!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures of pretty, sweet doggies. So glad you got your new flash. I know you will really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these are great pics! You will have a great time with this for sure! Happy week to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi my name is Viktoria Van Cantfort. I was searching for pictures to use in my design proposal and I absolutely fell in love with the second from the top picture of your dog. I would like to talk to you about paying to use the picture and your guidelines on your photography usage. I tried to find your email address but unfortunately since I am in such a hurry I may have missed it. I also apologize for going about this in such an unorthadox way, but my presentation to my peers is due tmrw. So please contact me at vlvancan@ncsu.edu. Also If you do not wish for the picture to be use in my proposal, just say the word and I will remove it from my proposal. I hope you have a good day :)!

    ReplyDelete